Saturday, May 2, 2015

Korean inspired Slow Cooker Spicy Pork

This is a great recipe to start with if you want to experiment with Korean inspired cooking.  It's also a great excuse to look for an Asian market in your area and shop for some exotic ingredients.  You can also purchase these on Amazon if you don't have a local store.  I luckily have two great ones near by.  Onward to the recipe

1 pork sirloin roast, get the darkest pink you can.  It's more tender.  Another option is butt roast.  Make sure it's well trimmed of fat
1 large onion, chopped roughly
4-5 cloves of garlic, chopped roughly
2-3 inches of ginger, chopped roughly
1/2 cup of Chinese cooking wine (see note below)
2 tbsp. of soy sauce
2 tbsp. of Korean rice syrup (see note below)
1/4 cup of Gochujang, red pepper soybean paste

Oil for crisping up, optional
2 tbsp. of potato starch for sauce, optional

Add all the above ingredients into a crockpot.  Let it cook for about 2 hours on low.  Once it's just cooked through, I remove it, slice it into thick steaks and then place it back in.  Cook for another 2 hours or till tender.  For my crockpot this is 4 hours but for yours it might be more or less.  You can leave it all day and it will fall apart.  I choose to slice it so I can brown it later and it exposes more of the "meat" to the sauce.

Once done, I crisp it up in a bit of oil till browned on both sides.  It takes a minute per side to do this.  After removing the pork, I strain the liquid into a saucepan over medium heat..  I then add 2 tbsp. of potato starch (you can use corn starch) to 2 tbsp. of water stir well in a small ramekin.  Then add to the strained sauce.  I bring it to a boil while stirring frequently.  Then you will have a luscious sauce for your pork.

You can make kimchi fried rice or plain steamed rice and kimchi to serve alongside.

This is the brand of Chinese cooking wine I use, http://www.melburyandappleton.co.uk/ekmps/shops/melburyapple/images/chinese-cooking-rice-wine-shaoxing-shao-hsing-shao-xing-600ml-4409-p.jpg

This is the Korean rice syrup I buy,
https://www.ottogi.co.kr/otgr/upload/product/prod_img02_11_02(2)1.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment